Asus P8H77-I debug pins ?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Timmie, Feb 13, 2024.

  1. Timmie

    Timmie

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2024
    Hi Folks,

    So, I have an old P8H77-I, it was running like a top until I went to put 16Gb of DDR3 in it. To do so, I went to update the bios from 0904 to the last 1102 from the support page.

    It read the file ok from the USB stick, and then rebooted with POST error beep(s).
    2-beeps indicating a parity check.

    So I replaced the memory (I now have 3 sets of DDR3 on my desk) and no-dice. So I made a recovery USB stick and I can re-flash it back to 0904, but same issue. I was surprised to see it will boot off the USB stick to "recover" the BIOS.

    I noticed the board has a 10 pin header next to the battery/BIOS chip but there is no documentation about it. Does anyone have any insight they can share ?

    Ideally I would love to hook it up to a Pi or Saleae or something and get more insight into what is causing it to fail. Like, do I buy a new pre-written bios chip or is get different memory or is there something else wrong with it ?

    Attached Files:

    Timmie, Feb 13, 2024
  2. Timmie

    Timmie

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2024
    PS. I know its an old board, but Mini-ITX boards are not that common these days and I'd like to get this board running again.

    Also - the thing that broke it seems to be flashing the bios, so it does feel software related.

    Timmie, Feb 13, 2024