cg5290 motherboard

Discussion in 'Asus' started by disastertourism, Oct 7, 2010.

1. disastertourism

disastertourism

Hi everyone, I'm new here, i've scoured the internet looking for an answer and can't find one so i thought maybe you all could help.

I just recently purchased an ASUS cg5290 desktop with the intent of sli linking two gtx 460s. however, upon doing some research, apparently there is a lot of controversy over sli linking with this computer (the motherboard specifically.) I can't determine exactly what motherboard is in this thing. It is some sort of rampage II gene, however, from what I have read, the BIOS has been "neutered" to not allow sli linking, even though it has 2 PCI-E x16 slots. I have read wildly different accounts though. some people have said sli works with no problem in their cg5290, just plug and play. other have said they've gotten it to work, but they had to flash their BIOS with an actual rampage II gene BIOS. others have said they've tried this and get a message that their motherboard is not compatible with that BIOS. and finally, there is this guy, justin.moravetz.com/2009/08/hack-asus-cg5290-bp007-desktop-to-have.html who claims to have modified the BIOS for this motherboard to enable sli.

have any of you ever heard of this or something similar? I was just hoping that maybe someone here could clarify and shed some light on this. why are people supposedly having so many different results? is it possible to just flash my BIOS with the rampage II gene BIOS? that seems easiest, if it works. I'm not opposed to trying any of this, however, i'm not extremely experienced in this area and would like at least one story to match another before i start trying any of it. thanks for your time and help!

disastertourism, Oct 7, 2010
Ask a Question