Dell Inspiron 1000 Disassembly Instruction

Discussion in 'Dell' started by rbrown67, Mar 14, 2008.

1. rbrown67

rbrown67

I couldn't find disassembly instructions for the Dell Inspiron 1000. Therefore, I documented my disassembly to possibly help others.

1. Remove Battery
    2. Remove DVD drive by removing 2 screws on bottom of the laptop. The two screws will have a lock next to the screws.
    3. Remove screw on bottom of laptop labeled M. Lay the screw and memory cover aside.
    4. Remove Hard Drive cover by removing 2 screws labeled H. Lay the screws and Hard Drive cover aside.
    5. Remove 2 screws labeled H which are located under the Hard Drive cover. Gently pull on the Hard Drive removal tab and place screws and Hard Drive aside.
    6. Remove 2 screws labeled D from bottom of laptop. These screws are located directly under screen.
    7. Gently remove plastic keyboard retainer strip by opening the screen to a horizontal position and gently prying the plastic strip containing the power switch.
    8. Carefully remove keyboard, unplugging the ribbon cable from the motherboard by lifting the outermost edges of the keyboard ribbon cable connector. This should allow the keyboard and ribbon cable to slide out easily.
    9. Remove silver motherboard cover by removing 7 retaining screws.
    10. Remove Fan by removing screws labeled TH7 & TH9
    11. Unplug and remove fan.
    12 Remove processor heat sink by loosing the 4 strange looking screws that have springs attached to them and are labeled 1 through 4. Loosen screws a couple of turns at a times starting at 1 and working through 4.
    13. Unplug screen cable from mother board.
    14. Remove screw attaching the screen ground to the mother board ground.
    15. Hold on to the screen and Remove 2 screws from back of laptop labeled D. Screen is now loose. Remove and set aside carefully.
    16. Remove 4 short screws from top of laptop. Screws are located close to the back of the laptop, under where the screen was.
    17. Remove 8 long screws labeled P from back of laptop
    18. Remove 2 short screws labeled P from hard drive slot.
    19. Remove 2 silver screws labeled P from the top of the laptop. The screws are close to the power switch and to the right of where the fan was located.
    20. Lift off laptop cover by unplugging the Mouse ribbon cable from the motherboard by lifting the outermost edges of the Mouse ribbon cable connector.
    21. Remove motherboard screw labeled TH15
    22 Remove Hard Drive Caddy by removing 4 screws.
    23. Remove 2 silver VGA output screw/nuts
    24. Unplug Speakers
    25. Unplug screen switch by disconnecting CON4
    26. The Mother Board is free to be removed.

rbrown67, Mar 14, 2008
  2. rbrown67

gasman

This is to rbrown67. I just want to thank you very much for the perfect instructions for dissasembling my Dell Inspiron 1000. I though my cooling fan was defective but thanks to you I was able to take it out and inspect it, and it had balls of dust clogging it. And I also continued to tear it apart to inspect the input power connection soder point and check ohms reading. It turned out the inter connection to the socket is starting to go bad. I may have to jury rig it some day. After having all the pieces on my table, maked and picture taken, I proceeded the job of rebuilding it. It went back perfectly and works like a charm. Thanks for all your help ! Gasman:)

gasman, Feb 2, 2009
  3. rbrown67

k0uc

rbrown67...thanks! I popped open my sister's laptop to find that the heat sink on the video chip had broken loose on one corner and was shorting out some of the board.
    It wouldn't power up. After shimming it in place, the laptop is OK.
    Thanks for posting the info!

k0uc, Jul 28, 2009
  4. rbrown67

Bren

Hi k0uc, I found the same problem on my sister's laptop.

The problem is I can't get the heat sink to screw back on. How to you get it reconnected? Do I need to apply thermal adhesive? The screws don't seem to have ever been able to connect.

Bren, Nov 11, 2009
  5. rbrown67

Bren

Or if any of you other guys can help?

I've added photos's...

bit.ly/2mgjZu

bit.ly/20lMHB

bit.ly/GUPaH

I have no idea how to get it back on.

Bren, Nov 11, 2009
  6. rbrown67

Bren

I had to remove the h t t p from that, sorry

Bren, Nov 11, 2009
  7. rbrown67

nightsnorkeler

Dell Inspiron 1000 disassembly

Can anyone tell me how long this should take? I have a friend whose Inspiron 1000 will not charge. Swapped out chargers and nothing. I'm considering opening it up to replace the charger input, however in my experience that's been a 4-6 hour job and this machine is not all that great to begin with. If I can open it and close it in less than one hour each I'll do it, otherwise it's recycle town.

Thanks.

nightsnorkeler, Dec 14, 2009
Ask a Question