Dimension 4300 ram error

Discussion in 'Dell' started by dazsmith34, Nov 20, 2007.

1. dazsmith34

dazsmith34

Hi all,

Ive got hold of a Dell Dimension 4300 pc thats all working. It came with 512mb ram 2 x 256 sticks pc 133. I wanted to upgrade to the maximum this board will accept which on dell site or crucial site says 1gig sdram pc 133. I ordered 2 x 512mb pc 133 which i slotted in and started up. It sometimes gets to the desktop and them i get BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) and then a memory dump to 100% then the pc reboots itself. I thought id got a dodgy stick so returned and got a replacement and the same thing is happening. If i take out one stick of 512 it and leave 1 stick of 512 in it boots ok and if i change the sticks over it boots ok so i know both ram modules are ok. If i put 1x 512mb stick in and 1x 256mb stick in it all works fine its just when i try to use the 2 x 512mb sticks, am i missing something or does this pc not accept 1 gig which im beginning to think or do i need a bios upgrade?, currentley A03 i think.
    Any help would stop me going mad, this is a xmas present for my 7yr old daughter so not the end of the world if i have to stick with 748mb ram.
    Darren:)

dazsmith34, Nov 20, 2007
Ask a Question