Getting ready to buy ASUS TUF GAMING Z790-PLUS WIFI

Discussion in 'Motherboard General Discussion' started by vinnytprice, Oct 8, 2024.

  1. vinnytprice

    vinnytprice

    and build more confidence in my choices.

    Hello,

    I have approx. several concerns, and any help or direction will be appreciated.

    I thought it might be best to make this all in one post since they all are about the same thing, so if it seems unorganized, feel free to tell me the better way. Feel free to tell me whatever I need to know. Thanks.

    Hello,

    It’s been 10 years since I built my last computer, and oh my, how things have changed! I have drives and memory that’s obsolete!

    >Q1. I’ve pretty much decided on the components. My question is, does it look like I matched these up pretty well? (Question 1 of 4)

    Here’s what I’m looking at from Amazon:

    1. ASUS TUF Gaming Z790-Plus WiFi

    2. Intel Core i7-12700K Gaming Desktop Processor with Integrated Graphics

    3. CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64GB (2x32GB) 5200MHz CL40 Intel XMP iCUE Compatible Computer Memory

    4. GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3050 WINDFORCE OC 6G Graphics Card, 2X WINDFORCE Fans, 6GB GDDR6 96-bit GDDR6

    There’s more, but I think these are the most important that all need to work together to get started.

    I’ll be using the PC mostly for office work and some video editing. I had to get more power and connection than I originally wanted to spend, because I just couldn’t find any motherboards that are closer to features I wanted at first, so I don’t mind having more choices in this motherboard.

    >Q2. Another thing I’m wondering: If I were to use a cheaper and older graphics card, would I be missing out by not using the components to their best use? Same with the monitor- it’s ten years old as well as the graphic card in my used computer. Can I get along with these- it will be very tough to update my monitor and graphics card.

    I’ll be using this monitor- ASUS VS228H-P 22-Inch Full-HD 5ms LED-Lit LCD Monitor

    To save money, I can use this- 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 (PNY) which is the one that’s worked fine in my old PC.

    Or I can use this which was ordered and kept by accident (unopened) a year ago- ZOTAC GeForce GT 730 Zone Edition 4GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 (x8 lanes)

    Will the Zotac be better than the PNY? So if I use one of these older cards, will I get best use out of the monitor?

    >Q3. I’m in a hotel, and the only way to get on the internet is through their LAN and using their internet browser sign in or by using my phone as a modem. Is BIOS smart enough to know that before I’ve installed any software?

    Am I going to have any detours with installation prior to installing my hard drive with Windows 10? I can’t be specific because I just don’t know. If there are sign-in problems, will using my phone as a modem solve it? Is BIOS and LAN smart enough to know that I have limited control and access?

    >Q4. Do I get a wired mouse and keyboard to deal with BIOS before my Windows 10 is installed by using my old SSD? And should I download the latest BIOS to a flash drive before I even get started?

    Any advice or direction will be appreciated. Thanks.

    Thanks x4 for checking this out.

    vinnytprice, Oct 8, 2024