Got a problem/question about my inspiron6000 power socket

Discussion in 'Dell' started by cicatrez, Dec 9, 2007.

  1. cicatrez

    cicatrez

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2007
    Hi guys, I'm new here, came across this place while googling about my problem, i hope you can help!

    okay, i have this problem with the power socket at the back. take a look at this picture (its the 6th one from the left)
    http://www.notebookreview.com/assets/3455.jpg

    Now, there's a problem, in which, its hard to get my adaptor to plug in, and switch on my laptop. I have to wiggle around the tip of my adaptor in the socket, in order for me to switch it on.

    It's gotten to the point where i use blue tac and other bits and bobs, to hold it in place, while having the laptop sat on a table.

    I also have to be careful, because if it's not connected properly, while im using my laptop, the area around the power cable can become really hot. Transferring the heat to the tip of the adapter. This, inturn, makes the gel inside it hot, and weak, weakening the structural integrity of the tip of the adaptor.

    This lead to my adapter breaking about a month ago. So i bought a new one from dell for £30. When i plugged in the new adaptor, thats how i figured that there must be something wrong with the power socket.

    my Dell warrenty ran out over 1 year ago. I could buy new Dell warrenty for £88 that lasts 2years.

    Or i could go on ebay, and buy a power socket, and solder in a new one. for £5

    http://tinyurl.com/2co366

    what you reckon i should do? Is it that hard to solder in a new power socket?
    Other then that, and the fact that my battery is either dead (or the laptop simply doesn't recognise it), my laptop has been fine for the 2years that I've had it so far.
    Please no one just tell me 'throw it away and get a new one'. cos at the moment i can't.

    I hope someone could help me out.:eek: :eek: :)

    cicatrez, Dec 9, 2007