Install new P4 driver on MB Upgrade

Discussion in 'Asus' started by XPBitHack, Mar 7, 2007.

  1. XPBitHack

    XPBitHack

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2007
    Hello All,

    I successfully (almost) upgraded from an ancient PII system to a new P4 with an ASUS P5B board. Originally, booted into XP, and then after about a minute, got booted to a BSD referencing the processr.sys file and a full memory dump.

    After fixing some driver issues in Safe Mode and renaming the processr.sys file I can boot into XP and have everything working the way it was.... except I can't seem to get the new processor dirvers into the system and the mouse is responding very slowly and jumping (probably the same issue).

    Device manager shows 2 processor icons (I think that's correct, I have Hyper-Threading Enabled) but they don't have drivers associated with them and are both "Yellow Exclaimed" Out.

    When I try to install the drivers from the ASUS disk They install and reboot sucessfully from the disk, except when I initiate set-up.exe on the disk, I keep getting the Q2E error that says I have to install the USB drivers.

    I am running XP without SP1 or SP2. How do I get the new processor to work properly on the new Board. Can I uninstall / re-install? .. Delete the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum? Also, do I need to install the USB upgrade as an SP/SP2 XP upgrad or can I do it as a stnad alone?

    Thanks!

    XPBitHack, Mar 7, 2007