MS-6738 Problems

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Smallbee, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Smallbee

Smallbee

My friend sent his old machine to me in the mail. He has been using it for years and it was working great when it went in the box. I took it out of the box and turned it on. It stayed on for 5-10 seconds and then shut off and wouldn't start back up. I opened the case and the cpu heatsink and fan fell out. Is it reasonable to assume the cpu is fried? The machine and all fans turn on but will not post and I get no beeps.

The cpu is an AMD 1.3G processor. The motherboard is the MSI MS-6738 as indicated in the subject.

In any case, I tried my AMD pc2100+ on the motherboard after changing the FSB jumper to 133. I get one beep at power up, the BIOS screen pops up with my cpu correctly identified and the RAM correctly shown, but after maybe 8 seconds it powers down with one very low beep and will not power back up until I unplug the machine.

Any ideas on how to get the 2100 to work with this motherboard? I am not familiar enough with CMOS or BIOS to know if they may be part of the problem or if there is some setting that needs adjusting.

Edit: After that amazingly eloquent plea for help, I went home, plugged it back in and it booted up! Of course it booted to an error, but it's good progress. I can enter the Bios and look at things now at least. So my question now is, why would upgrading cpu give you an "NTLDR is missing" error? And how do I fix it?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
    Smallbee, Aug 18, 2006
Ask a Question