P4C800-E destroying SATA drives?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by gdbsti, Oct 17, 2006.

  1. gdbsti

    gdbsti

    Location:
    bay area
    Greetings all!

    I've done a search of the forums but not found exactly what I'm looking for so hope someone can help here.

    I have a P4C800-E which has been running stable aside of one minor issue. I'm going through seagate 80GB SATA drives. They are setup to mirror for redundancy but have now had 3 failures. The latest failure has messed up the directory on the good drive, and I've lost a bunch of important info. Sigh..

    Has anyone else experienced a problem with the Seagate 80gb SATA drives on this Mobo? It's running:

    Antec 450W power supply
    2x 30gb IBM deskstar IDE
    2x 80gb SATA Raid 1 on fastrack controller
    1gb pc3200 mushkin ram
    10% oc'ed

    Cheers!
    Br

    gdbsti, Oct 17, 2006
  2. gdbsti

    iiee

    U do overcloking?

    I have P4C800 Deluxe (slight variance from urs), dont have such issue.

    ever tried with Seagate SeaTools to check drive problem?

    iiee, Oct 17, 2006
  3. gdbsti

    gdbsti

    Location:
    bay area
    Overclocked @ 10%. Mine is a deluxe board as well.

    Had run seagate tools and repaired bad sector but it was at the directory so all is more or less gone.

    I guess I'm just having a bad run of drives. Unusual as the seagates are normaly so good. Oh well, time to replace them both again.

    Cheers
    br

    gdbsti, Oct 17, 2006
  4. gdbsti

    iiee

    My board is without the "E" version. different in ICH and LAN controller i think.

    Seagate drives are good, just DO NOT buy if made from China.

    I am not sure if the Promise controller can tolerate overclocking (whether the AGP/PCI lock will lock it). 10% is 146Mhz.

    iiee, Oct 18, 2006