P5W64 WS Professional

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Don Hastings, Jun 25, 2007.

  1. Don Hastings

    Don Hastings

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    Objective: Set up a RAID0 (stripped) array on 2 new hard disk drives (HDDs) attached to motherboard's (MB's) 2nd RAID controller (Marvell 88SE6145). All HDDs on this system are matched SATA II (3.0 Gb/s), 500GB -- 2 on the Intel controller and 2 on the Marvell controller. Additionally, I plan a RAID1 (mirrored) array on the Intel controller.

    Problem: How to establish a RAID array for 2 new hard disk drives (HDDs) attached to MB's 2nd RAID controller (Marvell).

    Intel Matrix Storage Manager (IMSM) loads and, via "[Ctrl] " following the Post, does show the existence of 2 previously-installed HDDs attached to the Intel controller. It does NOT show existence of the 2 new HDDs (which are attached to the MB's 2nd RAID controller). Additionally, from within Windows Vista, IMSM does not show existence of the 2 new HDDs. However, this may not be the issue. This manager might only support HDDs physically attached to its controller.

    "[Ctrl] [M]", following the Post, does NOT bring up a Marvell RAID Console -- nothing happens, the computer continues to boot up to Windows Vista. Additionally, from within Vista, it does NOT appear to be possible to find or run a Marvell RAID Console.

    I have the latest BIOS released by ASUS (0701, 03/15/07). To my knowledge, BIOS is correctly configured, both for SATA (as "RAID") and for the 2nd RAID controller.

    Windows Vista "Device Manager" reports 2 drivers as functioning correctly:
    "Marvell 61XX Marvell RAID controller", v. 1.1.0.51, 11/14/06, and
    "Marvell RAID Console", v. 1.1.0.51, 11/14/06.
    These are the latest drivers I could identify for this MB.

    Vista "Disk Manager" does report the 2 HDDs -- they are not initialized and are shown as "unknown". So, the the MB's 2nd RAID controller (Marvell 88SE6145) apears to be functioning at some level.

    My system:
    OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate
    MB: Asus P5W64 WS Professional
    Northbridge: Intel 975X
    Southbridge: Intel ICH7R
    2nd RAID controller: Marvell 88SE6145
    CPU: Inel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz
    RAM: Super Talent, 2 GB kit, cl 4
    4 matched HDDs: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10, SATA II (3Gb/s), 500 GB
    VC: PNY Quadro FX 1500, 250MB, PCIe
    DVD writer: Plextor 18x (PX-760A)
    PS: Antec NeoPower, ATX12V, 550w

    Can anyone identify the problem or offer a solution?

    Don Hastings, Jun 25, 2007
  2. Don Hastings

    Don Hastings

    Joined: