unable to install OS on ECS RC410L/800-M

Discussion in 'ECS' started by shinnen, Nov 11, 2021.

1. shinnen

shinnen

Hi all,
    I bought this (old) XPL10 computer and am trying to install an OS on it.
    It would not boot passed the Windows XP loading screen when I bought it, so I started looking for problems. Soon I discovered a seized cabinet cooling fan and a 2gig memory module, which didn't work. After replacing those, I tried again, but it wouldn't boot passed the bios screen. I took the hard drive out and slaved it to my Windows 7 computer, but the computer did not recognize it. I then installed 40gig ide drive and attempted to install several OSs, (Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows Vista) both 32 and 64 bit, but they froze part way though the installation (Windows 7 and Windows Vista) or kept rebooting after installing the system files (Windows XP). At this point all the drives are IDE: 2 DVDs and and the HDD. I have just replaced the ide HDD with 40gig sata (Baracuda); and although the system recognizes all three drives (Sata master, and ide DVD slaves) I am no longer able to access the boot menu (F8) in order to boot from the installation disk, nor the Bios (Delete). When I attempt F8 or Delete, the system recognizes the command but does not carry out the instruction, so it just sits there and does nothing. Attempts at resetting the bios (by shifting the shortout pin) have no effect. (When the reset works I get a message telling me to reset the bios settings, date etc.).
    That's about it. Any help is appreciated.
    ..... john

shinnen, Nov 11, 2021
  2. shinnen

shinnen

I discovered today that the reason I couldn't get into the bios or boot menu, was because of the Baracuda sata drive, when I substituted it for another sata HDD. But I'm still unable to install an OS, without the system hanging part way through the installation.
    Any help is appreciated.
    ..... john

shinnen, Nov 12, 2021
Ask a Question