vista install

Discussion in 'Dell' started by sohel3, Jul 3, 2008.

  1. sohel3

    sohel3

    Note: This is a follow-up to a thread I created in
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.general, where "Timothy Daniels" started to
    answer my questions, stating that this very forum would be more appropriate.

    Greetings from France.

    After putting a new, 160 Gb hard disk in my Dell Inspiron laptop, I followed
    Dell's instructions as found on a flyer that came with the machine :
    1. install Dell's "For Reinstalling Dell Media Direct 3" DVD
    2. install Vista's DVD
    3. finish with "For Reinstalling Dell Media Direct 3"
    At stage #2 I choose to have C: at 50 Gb, leaving the rest to D:. Once Vista was
    installed, I found that D: had yet to be formatted, which I did from within
    Vista.

    Now, taking a look at the system, I found that there were in fact *4* volumes:
    - one is 47 Mb - "Type :" basic - "Statut :" Sound (Configuration EISA) ; this
    one can't be touched
    - the second is 2.01 Gb - "Type :" basic - "Statut :" Sound (Principal
    partition) ; this one can be deleted
    - then C: et D:

    "Timothy Daniels" stated that indeed the two nameless volumes were created in
    the Dell Media Direct process, as I had suspected.
    Now, here are a few questions I am worrying about:

    1. so far, the 2.01 Gb volume seems empty (as far as I can tell, since it can't
    be accessed in the usual way, like through File manager), and I'm finished with
    reinstalling Dell MediaDirect. Is the 2.01 Gb partition the place where the
    system copies its temporary files when I'm using Dell MediaDirect?
    2. does that happen both when using Dell MediaDirect from within Vista *and*
    when using Dell MediaDirect without having loaded Vista in the first place
    (which seems to be the reason why Dell MediaDirect is made for)?
    3. in any case, if I just delete that 2.01 Gb partition (so as to let C: get the
    liberated space), how will affect MediaDirect next time I launch the program?

    ....Thanks very sincerely for your attention, and thanks in advance for any
    answer.
    --
    a.

    sohel3, Jul 3, 2008